We are very satisfied with DeveloperHub.io. It saves us a lot of time during the content creation process and simplifies documentation version management. Support for rich media, including videos on our documentation portal, is an added advantage. This makes it easy for customers and developers to quickly understand our product's value proposition and get started.
Anita CJ, Technical Writer, Infoworks
Founded in 2014 and headquartered in Palo Alto, Infoworks.io is the leading software platform provider for agile data. By automating the entire data engineering process, Infoworks eliminates the complexity of big data from source to consumption, through a visual, code-free environment that enables organizations to launch new analytics use cases and data driven applications in days, instead of months. The company counts some of the world's largest financial, retail, technology, healthcare, oil & gas, pharmaceutical and manufacturing companies in the Fortune 100 and Global Fortune 500 as its customers.
Infoworks Documentation Objectives
The technical writing team at Infoworks is entrusted with the responsibility of creating quality documentation assets that enhance their customer experience. Working within the time and resource constraints demanded by a continuously evolving cutting edge technology product, the technical writers at Infoworks collaborate across geographies for writing, reviewing, publishing and sharing product information with key stakeholders.
Engineering resources were a bottleneck
Before switching over to DeveloperHub.io, Infoworks used WordPress based content development process that required additional support for hosting their documentation created using WordPress tooling. Following are some of the key issues that made them look for a better solution:
- WordPress usage required dealing with HTML and CSS formats in order to define and manage their documentation layout. This caused an additional dependency of technical writers and content developers on software engineering resources with the requisite skills to handle documentation layout modifications and address issues. The added complexity slowed the rate of content development.
- Hosting of WordPress based documentation was handled by another development resource located in a different geography and that increased dependency and turn-around time for documentation updates.
- Creating contemporary look and feel for documentation required significant effort and resource outside the technical writer’s domain of expertise. Managing change was tedious.
- Another limiting factor with their old documentation process was the complexity in managing the overall documentation structure and its organization to aid ease of information access using navigation controls.
- The new team members in technical writing team faced steep learning curve with their documentation system that hampered productivity.
The complete Infoworks documentation is now written and published using DeveloperHub.io. The documentation productivity is no longer hostage to the many issues they were facing with content development, the CSS, plugins and hosting with their older documentation system. With Developerhub.io all the documentation development, review and publishing processes are just a single button-click and that saves a lot of time for Infoworks.
Technical writers can focus more on documentation instead of spending time looking for developer resources to help them in fixing issues related to documentation management and hosting. New team members can ramp up faster as the documentation editor is very intuitive, unlike the earlier tool that had a steep learning curve and additional skills besides content development. With DeveloperHub.io documentation cycles and updates become simpler and faster, giving a boost to API documentation at Infoworks.
Infoworks users find DeveloperHub.io easy to use tool for documentation. The frequent updates and enhancements make the documentation process very interesting and highly productive. The look and feel of the documents generated using DeveloperHub.io matches closely with what the technical writers require for ease of information access. In addition, Infoworks experienced greater flexibility in content development with the product’s customization capabilities such as fonts, colours, simple, intuitive navigation controls and various other layout options. Lastly, continuous support from the DeveloperHub.io support team ensured that all the challenges faced by Infoworks information development team were addressed on time helping them in timely release of important product information.
- Empowered technical writers to handle high-frequency documentation updates, increased scalability needs of continuously evolving product documentation and boost productivity of content development.
- Allows technical writers to focus on content development rather than worry about information hosting and layout dependencies. At the same time, the tool gives control by allowing technical writer to retain the flexibility of customizable look and feel in a contemporary documentation layout.
- Intuitive and easy to build simple navigation controls in documentation make it easy for readers to access and search for information.
- WYSIWYG tooling makes collaboration easier among various technical documentation stakeholders involved in content development, review and approval.
- Accelerates quality documentation delivery with modern look and feel.
Infoworks technical writing process got a 3X boost with the adoption of DeveloperHub.io managed documentation service. With its powerful, Medium-like modern WYSIWYG editor, DeveloperHub.io managed documentation hosting service helped Infoworks in writing beautiful user guides, product and API documentation with no dependency on documentation hosting or layout tooling knowledge. Documentation team at Infoworks can now publish it online by a simple click of a button!